From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Eric Pierre
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] Influence of priors resolution over segmentation

Dear SPMers,

We've been trying to undrestand to what extent the resolution of the
prior
probability maps affects the outcome of the segmentation. We performed 2

segmentations on the same brain using the VBM5 toolbox (by Christian
Gaser) and a pediatric prior probability maps (courtesy of Cincinnati
Children's Hospital Medical Center) at 1x1x1mm resolution, then with the

same prior maps at 2x2x2mm (created out of the first one using
spm_reslice). We got rather significant differences in the segmentation
results, a sample of those results is attached to this post. What we
don't
understand is the following :
Since the prior maps are very smooth, how can changing the resolution of

the prior maps influence that much? We couldn't even tell the difference

between the 2 prior maps. Any explaination?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Pierre

Case Western Reserve University,
Case Center for Imaging Research,