This is going off-topic from Dee, but "Fix here ..."  somehow suggests Donne's "Valediction: Forbidding Mourning" : the foot, the round shape, the word "fix" - and the whole context of farewell.

No tines in the Donne poem, alas, though lots of alchemy ...

Julia Griffin

>>> John Leonard <[log in to unmask]> 5/14/2007 3:57 PM >>>
The suggestion that "fix" means "stop" might draw some support from a
possibly parallel usage by Milton in a cryptic little poem (just 2 lines
long) he jotted on the back of a letter sent him by Henry Lawes, enclosing
his passport, before he embarked on his Italian journey in 1638:

Fix here ye overdated spheres
That wing the restless foot of time.

Such commentary as this mysterious little poem has provoked has tended to
focus on the meaning of "overdated" (which seems to be Milton's coinage,
whatever it means).  I wonder if "tine" in "fix and tine the moon" might
mean "tie" in the sense "bind."  This might seem far from alchemy, but
Milton refers to alchemical binding in PL 3.600-605, where alchemists "bind
/ Volatile Hermes" (the element mercury) and "call up unbound / In various
shapes old Proteus from the sea".  If memory serves me right, alchemical
binding means the removing of air (a volatile element) from common mercury
to make "philosophic mercury"--a necessary step toward the making of the
elixir and philosopher's stone.  I have no idea as to how or whether the
moon might be relevant to all this.  Milton in PL is talking about the sun.

John Leonard