I tried "tine" and "tyne" in EEBO and got hundreds of hits. Someday I'll
learn better how to control those searches. A lot of Newcastle on Ti/yne.
But indeed the OED seems to me to be very useful--with "tine" as enclose,
hedge in, it. To fix and tine the moon would suggest the arrogance or at
least the futility of telling Cynthia to stop, behave. You are a saucy
wretch if not anctually a pedant, if you think you can tell the busy old
fool, unruly moon, to stop moving (and maybe stop having phases). Anyway,
my vote is for "enclose" or a synonym. The moon will not be fixed--made to
stop and maybe made to stop being so mutable--nor limited/roped
in/enclosed/restrained. Tine as a noun, of course, goes with that recent
Italian import the fork--there's a passage in some Elizabethan satire
about putting your victims on a fork's tines. Not relelvant here, of
course. Anne P.

> The suggestion that "fix" means "stop" might draw some support from a
> possibly parallel usage by Milton in a cryptic little poem (just 2 lines
> long) he jotted on the back of a letter sent him by Henry Lawes, enclosing
> his passport, before he embarked on his Italian journey in 1638:
>
> Fix here ye overdated spheres
> That wing the restless foot of time.
>
> Such commentary as this mysterious little poem has provoked has tended to
> focus on the meaning of "overdated" (which seems to be Milton's coinage,
> whatever it means).  I wonder if "tine" in "fix and tine the moon" might
> mean "tie" in the sense "bind."  This might seem far from alchemy, but
> Milton refers to alchemical binding in PL 3.600-605, where alchemists
> "bind
> / Volatile Hermes" (the element mercury) and "call up unbound / In various
> shapes old Proteus from the sea".  If memory serves me right, alchemical
> binding means the removing of air (a volatile element) from common mercury
> to make "philosophic mercury"--a necessary step toward the making of the
> elixir and philosopher's stone.  I have no idea as to how or whether the
> moon might be relevant to all this.  Milton in PL is talking about the
> sun.
>
> John Leonard

>>> "fix"
>>> (tine=enclose).  An EEBO-TCP search of "fix" near "moon" gives you this