Yes, and Spenser uses the older form, but the newer form Gogmagog
was, as I recall, also available. In any case "Gog" as a tribe or
area or personification or whatever is an ancient enemy. The two
giants "Gog" and "Magog" that stood (stand) near the Guildhall have
modern names--originally there was Gogmagog and his slayer Corineus.
Or so I recall from doing "giants" for the Spenser Encyc. Anne.

On May 30, 2007, at 12:16 PM, James C. Nohrnberg wrote:

> Except there's an old form Goemagot.
>
> The shift (of accentual emphasis) to the antepenult seems to occur
> with an increase in familiarity (or within a knowing in-group) and
> a will-to-an-economical-acceleration:  I've seen it happen with New
> Haven and and even paper-bag.  There is of course a possible
> difference in meaning: "The Faerie QUEENE" says that the Queen
> (i.e., of England) is a racially a fairy, while "The FAERie queen"
> says that the queen meant is the particular one that is the monarch
> of the fairies (and not, say, the Queen of Scots).
>
> On Wed, 30 May 2007 11:50:46 -0400
>  anne prescott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> A fascinating text--it includes a foldout, as I recall, with a
>> "bees madrigal" or swarming song. Linda Austern tells me it's
>> famous in musicological circles because the words in the madrigal
>> are "bzzzz  bzzzz" etc. I like Charlie's namesake also because he
>> notes that the  ruler is female and that those (e.g. Aristotle?)
>> who refer to a bees'  king are just . . . and then he uses a word
>> I can't remember but we  would say "sexist." Right on.
>>        As for "Furry Queene" I've noticed an interesting
>> generational shift. I say "Faerie Queene" giving both words an
>> equal stress; I've noticed that a great many younger scholars (OK,
>> OK, most  are younger than I am these days) say "FAErie Queene."
>> Fascinating to  see such things evolve. There's also a difference
>> between folks who  say "or-gog-lio" and those who say "or-goh-
>> lio"--I go for the latter,  being so snobby and wanting to show
>> I've been to Italy, but I'm not  sure Spenser did.  After all the
>> (to my snooty ear) less  sophisticated pronunciation has "Gog" in
>> the middle, which goes with  giants, being part of "Gogmagog," or
>> at least with (in the Bible)  God's enemies. Anne P.
>> On May 30, 2007, at 2:37 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
>>> Then there's my namesake's *The Feminine Monarchie. Or a
>>> Treatise  Concerning Bees, and the due ordering of them* (1609) -
>>> which does  sound rather like an apiarist's *FQ*.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>>

>>> On 30/05/07, James C. Nohrnberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> An early design for the cover of AnFQ was suggested by Darcy
>>> Thompson's On
>>> Growth and Form re the hexagonal structures of the honeycomb
>>> (which  are
>>> dictated like the pattern of crated oranges and some forms of
>>> rose  windows
>>> in mediaeval cathedrals).

>>> late Dr
>>> University, I