From: Liz Biggs
Sent: 11 May 2007 17:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: bizarre experiments

Dear all,

I contacted Lisa Hendry at the BA about a project I'm working on and she
suggested I contact you for ideas and inspiration, so I hope you'll have
a quick think and email me anything you think might be helpful!

I'm trying to find out weird and wonderful experiments, mainly
contemporary but perhaps historical if interesting. One example is a
study into collision avoidance in locusts where they were played the
battle scenes from Star Wars to see how they avoid hitting the X-Wings!
Apparently the results were very helpful in developing new
anti-collision technologies for cars. Another, contested experiment
involved flatworms being taught behaviour and then fed to other
flatworms to see if they would 'learn' from their meal.

If you can think of any other experiments with unusual methods or
bizarre focuses (not just animal ones!), please can you email me with
details? Even if it's only a vague recollection, it'd be great to hear
from you. Ideally we'd like to draw unusual connections between
disciplines and experimental focuses - such as Prof. Sir Mike Brady's
work on robot image analysis leading to great strides forward in cancer
detection.

Also, if any of you are working on anything weird and wonderful right
now, or have done in the past, please get in touch. I'm hoping to get a
big list together by the 18th May.

I think this show could be a great way to showcase the talents of those
scientists who aren't afraid of thinking outside the particular box for
solutions and inspiration, and also enable more exploration into the
scientific method, something rarely shown on TV.

Thanks in anticipation,

Liz

Liz Biggs

Associate Producer (Development)