 I think that perhaps it's not so much how much funding science institutes receive that's the problem, but how much they try to spread it... It appears to me that instead of paying two people on a reasonable wage, these institutes try to squeeze what they can out of the money by hiring three or more people on much smaller pays instead. If a new science communication project gets given funding of £360k, for example, hiring twenty on £18k would be much better than thirty on £12k. And perhaps that extra £6k per employee would actually keep them there much longer. It seems to me that perhaps the most established and respected institutes tend to have more people that have been there for more than a year.

Unfortunately I don't have any evidence to hand as I am just speculating why some wages are so insultingly low, otherwise I would attempt to put this point forward to the committee! If anyone does have any proof of funding being stretched to unreasonable wages please let me know, but I suspect that this type of information is probably kept under wraps.

Frank Norman <[log in to unmask]> wrote: This may be of interest.  I wonder if it will include a consideration of salaries (following on from the discussion here in March)?

==========================
Subject: NEW INQUIRY: FUNDING OF SCIENCE AND DISCOVERY CENTRES

PRESS NOTICE No. 35 of Session 2006-07

The Science and Technology Committee has decided to hold a short inquiry into the funding of science and discovery centres.
The inquiry will examine the role of science centres in public engagement and attracting young people to science subjects and scientific careers, the funding available to such centres from central Government, alternative sources of funding and ways of supporting the long-term future of science and discovery centres.
The Committee would welcome written evidence from interested organisations and individuals addressing these points by Monday 11 June 2007.

Guidelines for the submission of evidence
Evidence should be submitted in Word format (version no later than word 2002), and should be sent by e-mail to [log in to unmask] . The body of the e-mail must include a contact name, telephone number and postal address. The e-mail should also make clear who the submission is from.
Submissions should be as brief as possible, and certainly no more than 3,000 words. Paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference, and the document should include a brief executive summary. Those submitting evidence are reminded that evidence should be original work, not previously published or circulated elsewhere. Once submitted no public use should be made of it, but those wishing to publish their evidence before it is published by the Committee are invited to contact the Clerk of the Committee to obtain permission to do so. Guidance on the submission of evidence can be found at http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_committees/witness.cfm
For media inquiries please call Laura Kibby on 020 7219 0718. For any other information please call Ana Ferreira, on 020 7219 2793. Previous press notices and publications are available on our website. www.parliament.uk/s&tcom

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE
COMMITTEE OFFICE, HOUSE OF COMMONS
7 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA
Tel. Nos. 020 7219 2793-2794 (Fax. No. - 0896) email: [log in to unmask]

Frank Norman
Librarian, National Institute for Medical Research
The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London NW7 1AA,  UK
tel 020 8816 2227   fax 020 8816 2230   email [log in to unmask]

5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and science
and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk

 Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Tryit now.