I'd say there was not only the illusion of chronology, because certain
datable events take place in the later numbered ones, like Delmore
Schwartz's death in July 1966 ("Delmore, Delmore"), whereas the original
77 were published in '64 and copyrighted 1959, 1962, 1963, 1964 in my
Faber edition. Though Berryman claimed that the protagonist was "not
me", events in the real J.B.'s life are easily identifiable. I was blown
away by the original 77 at the time. As with Dylan, I desperately wanted
the later ones to be as good or better, but they rarely were. There are
40+ published in 2 later volumes after *His Toy...* - does the new
complete edition give many additions to the numbered 385  - how many are
there now, Dom?
mj

--
Il ne faut pas toujours conter,
Citer,

Il est tyrannique,
Trop académique;
L'ennui, l'ennui
Marche avec lui.

Marie-Françoise-Catherine de Beauveau, Marquise de Boufflets