From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 11:44 PM
Subject: Re: Midtarsal Joint Biomechanics

Kevin

On the contrary, it is because the body is a tensegrity structure, that it is able to withstand the forces that are applied to it.   A tensegrity explanation for why muscles grow larger when exercised, is that they can create greater tension within the fascia network.  It is this tension that results in greater overall strength.  Think about bench pressing.  When the weight limit is reached, the lifter may squirm their entire body in an effort to use the pecs effectively.   Every part of the body is connected by virtue of the continuous fascia network  which uses the osseous structures as compression struts to maintain an omnidirectionally stable system.   Could you ever develop the appropriate model of the body's functional design if you only measured the loads on the pectoral muscles?

The work done in biomechanics worldwide is of the highest caliber.   But the understanding of function based on what is measured, and then traced backwards to explain these same measurements, may be self limiting.   Consequently, understanding the workings of the midtarsus without the right functional model could be very misleading.   Is its motion really as critical as we believe, or, would measuring compression loads across the MTJ be more valuable?  Could the measured motions be the result of the failure to stabilize, and not the predictor of pathologic vs. non-pathologic?   Improving outcomes would be about enhancing something quite different than we would have imagined.  Prehaps measuring inter-joint pressure during gait would be more revealing and create a different understanding to the force transfers that occur as the foot moves through the step cycle.

From years and years of using F-scan, I can tell you that it is the slowing of this stabilizing force during the midstance phase that consistently demonstrates pathologic type pronation...and not, as many believe, the directional loads during heel strike.   The reason the MTJ could be adequately compressed and therefore held stable by a continuous flow of weight is a result of its tensegrity design.  Dismissing this idea, despite the difficulty in measuring it, misses the elegance of a theme repeated throughout the biologic world.

Howard

Howard J. Dananberg, DPM
21 Eastman Avenue