  From: Plagiarism [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Mcintyre D
A (CELT)
  Sent: 18 May 2007 15:55
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Question about penalties for proven cases

  This may be a kind of Friday afternoon question but it cropped up today in
a discussion and, although pretty well hypothetical is none the less
interesting.  Here you go:
  If a tutor very strongly suspects that plagiarism has taken place (based
on various factors such as the writing style, unexpected quality of work,
idiosyncratic phrases and more) but cannot find any evidence as such, could
a penalty be applied retrospectively if the original source of the work was
found at a later date?  Even after graduation??

  My thoughts were that if such a scenario arose, as much opinion as
possible (even utilising the external examiner) would be of help and the end
conclusion based on a balance of probability - so a retrospective view
shouldn't be necessary.  But any other thoughts would be welcome!  Does any
institution have anything as drastic as the ability to revoke an award is
something came to light at a late date?

  Best wishes

  Denzie McIntyre
  Manager,
  Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT)
  The University of Glamorgan.

  Tel: 01443 482791, Fax: 01443 483667
  Visit our website on: http://celt.glam.ac.uk/