From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Maureen McBain
Sent: 24 May 2007 14:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] role balance

Hi Sara

Well then we are back and facing a "professional dilemma" which is where
we started. But throughout my career I like many others I am sure we
make professional decisions all the time and so far things seem have
worked for me. But if I give the example of consulting three different
groups e.g. employees, the employer and those running the service where
all there different groups have different expectations of the service
and it is impossible to fulfill all groups expectations and therefore I
am faced with the dilemma of have three different sets of views. So it
is up to me to decide what has to be done with the resources available
so someone has to make a decision as to what can be realistically done
within the time scale and to benefit the majority- well that is how I
have tackled some situations in the past. But I by no means think I have
all the answers but I do try and to the right thing for the majority but
also know that it is impossible to keep everyone happy all of the time
but you can keep some people happy some of the time (as I have recently
had first hand experience form organizing the Scottish OHN conference in
recent weeks). So if you are look for an answer I guess listen to
yourself and make your own judgment because I know that many nurses that
I have worked with over the years are actually quite skilled in doing
this.

All the best

Mo