From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Jane Fairburn
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] pregnancy tiredness

Diane – what an outrageous statement – I do not believe that we “legitimately discriminate with regards to pregnancy anyway”!

We advise measures to protect both the employee and the unborn child – there is a million miles of difference and the use of those terms will get an inexperienced OHA into a lot of trouble!

I believe that this lady could reasonably show that

1 “but for” the pregnancy she would not have been treated that way

2 pregnancy was an effective cause of the treatment (but does not have to be the sole cause)

3 the treatment she received amounted to a detriment

The above issues should of course be addressed by HR in any event and not OH.

Just a consideration for a wider debate ..…..employment law is so much a (hugely interesting) part of our role now and it’s essential to consider the potential impact of advice – after all you might end up in an ET defending it.

With regards,

Jane

Jane Fairburn BSc (Hons) RSpCPH (OH) CMIOSH

Occupational Health Services Director

Mobile 07770 638 268

Office  01925 227 000

Direct  01925 294 775