From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Frank Oakes
Sent: 17 May 2007 20:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Pacemaker

Hi Catherine

In fairness to the business was an end date or timescale set by which time
the company expected him to return to full and normal duties giving both the
employee and employer a better guide of what was expected rather than let
him fall in to the open ended 'light duty' syndrome that the medical
practitioners think industry can provide.

Lets be honest it sounds like the only reason he returned to work was his
sick pay ending and while I sympathise for him if he was not ready he should
not have returned.  As for the pains over his scar I have seen this before
and was advised that it is normal though in one case I have a memory of a
man requiring further treatment to reduce the pain.

He is likely to be covered by the DDA IMO and at the end of the day if all
else fails we are advisers and we can only advise, whether they choose to
take our advise is their decision.  I suppose they have to ask them selves
are they being reasonable.  If you can get an extension by a few weeks by
getting all parties to agree that at the end of this time he will be
expected to work full and normal duties and work closely with him and
possibly the cardiac rehab team then this may help resolve the situation.  I
find that management get very frustrated about woolly open ended plans and
while we can never set them in stone there has to be an end point.

Sorry if this rambled a bit and I hope it helps.  I will probably read this
tomorrow and wonder why I wrote it, but after a 14 hour day it's the best I
can do.

Good luck with this one

Frank