-----Original Message-----
From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious
culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Briggs
Sent: 28 May 2007 18:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] saint of the day 26. May: Bede

Anne Willis wrote:

> The relevant passage from 1066 and All That [Sellars and Yeatman,
> 1930] is from Test Paper 1; 'How would you have attempted to deal
> with (a) The Venomous Bead; (b) A Mabinogion or Wapentake?  (Be quick)

But that is testing Chapter III: The Conversion of England.

...The conversion of England was thus effected by the landing of St
Augustine in Thanet and other places, which resulted in the country being
overrun by a Wave of Saints. Among these were St Ive, St Pancra, the great
St Bernard (originator of the clerical collar), St Bee, St Ebb, St Neot (who

invented whisky), St Kit and St Kin, and the Venomous Bead (author of 'The
Rosary')...

John Briggs

  Sorry, should have said 'A relevant passage ...'.  Test Paper 1 is 'Up to
the end of 1066', and also includes the question 'Which came first, A.D. or
B.C.? (Be careful).

Anne

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]