Does it have to be a saint?  How about naming the award after the Virgin of Israel (Jeremiah 31:4)?
http://scripturetext.com/jeremiah/31-4.htm

An actual saint would be the girl Musa.  In the original account of her by Gregory the Great (_Dial._ 4. 18), there's no mention of dancing.  But by the end of the Middle Ages M.'s love of dance appeared in preachers' exempla and the like (it's said to be in Sebastian Brant's _Passional_).  Gottfried Keller made a very nice story from this in his _Tanzlegenden_.  See the translation here:
http://www.fln.vcu.edu/keller/dance_e.html

Best,
John Dillon

On Saturday, May 5, 2007, at 10:10 am, Chris Laning wrote:

> The (Catholic) high school I work for is instituting a couple of new
>
> awards for excellence in dance (it has a strong performing arts
> program) and would like to find suitable names for them. Considering
>
> that the highest music award is named after St. Cecilia and the drama
>
> award after St. Genesius, it would be nice to find a saint to name a
>
> dance award after.
>
> The only candidates I can find, however, are St. Philemon (who no
> one's ever heard of), St. Pelagia (whose name unfortunately, and of
> course by sheer coincidence, brings up the Pelagian heresy), and St.
>
> Vitus! Somehow I don't think that one would go over too well,
> either....<g>
>
> There is also Miriam (sister of Aaron) from the Old Testament,
> although there she is leading the dancers rejoicing over the
> destruction of the Egyptian army, which might put some people off.
> Most of the other mentions of dance I can find in saints' lives seem
>
> to be of pagan and/or licentious dancing, and that won't do at all.
>
> Suggestions? Female saints preferred (it's a girls' school) but all
> ideas are welcome.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]