From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Paton, Hugh
Sent: 25 May 2007 13:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Online joining process

Dear List,

we are looking at enabling people to join online, rather than, as at present, providing a form online which has to be printed and taken to a library. People here are concerned about the issue of proof of address / i.d. and I would be interested to know what anyone else does.

Options seem to be;

1. Bring in a printed-up and completed form with standard proof of i.d. and address (the draconian choice?).

2. Submit online form electronically and have library card posted, with full activation requiring user to go to library (with i.d?) to get PIN etc.to be able to gain access to full range of services.

3. Electronic submission and validation with no requirement for personal visit to complete the joining process.

Any others?

Pros and cons?

I'll collate and publish if wished.

Thanks very much,

Hugh Paton

Acting Development and Support Services Manager - Bexley Libraries

Tel. 020 8309 4134

This Email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing or copying of the email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify Bexley Council by
telephone on +44 (0) 20 8303 7777.

Web Site: http://www.bexley.gov.uk