-----Original Message-----
From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa Anderson
Sent: 23 May 2007 14:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Appropriateness Evaluation Protocol - where to obtain a copy

**APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING**

Dear all,

I am trying to find a copy of the Appropriateness Evaluation Protocol
(AEP).
>From searching I can see that many Trust's in England have used it
quite
recently (in the last few years). Also, I can see where the tool it
originated from:

P.M. Gertman and J.D. Restuccia, "The Appropriateness Evaluation
Protocol: A
Technique for Assessing Unnecessary Days of Hospital Care," Medical Care
19
(August 1981): 855; and J.D. Restuccia, P.M. Gertman, and S.J. Dayno,
"Methods to Determine Inappropriate Use of Hospital Resources: Final
Report," Health Care Research Unit, Boston University Medical Center,
prepared for the Health Care Financing Administration, Department of
Health
and Human Services, September 1982.

My problem is that I can't seemed to find the actual tool as since
original
publication (see above), different versions of the tool have evolved,
for
example:

Lang T, Liberati A, Tampieri A, Fellin G, Gosalves M, Lorenzo S, Pearson
M,
Beech R, Santos-Eggiman B, 1999, A European version of the
Appropriateness
Evaluation Protocol, Intl J Technology Assessment in Health care, 15
185-197.

Plus a French, paediatric one, etc, etc ... there is a lot of literature
about it, reviews, etc on Medline ...

However, I am trying to establish if 'we' as a Trust we need to purchase
the
tool from a learned organisation (i.e. Boston University Medical Center
have looked already at site), or a recent UK version of the tool is 'out
there' and 'freely available' for adaptation from the literature.

If you have 'any' information regarding this tool, (perhaps you have
worked
with a team to source and use this tool), would you please contact me
off
the list.

I will of course summarise any responses and post to list.

Kind regards,

Lisa

Lisa Anderson BA(Hons) MA MCLIP

Clinical Librarian

McArdle Library

Education Centre

Arrowe Park Hospital

Wirral Hospital NHS Trust

Upton, Wirral, CH49 5PE

Tel/fax: +44 151 604 7223

Email: [log in to unmask]

This message  may  contain  confidential  and  privileged information.
If you are not  the intended  recipient please  accept our  apologies.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute  information in this e-mail
or take any  action in reliance on its  contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has
gone  astray  before  deleting it.  Thank  you for  your co-operation.

NHSmail is used daily by over 100,000 staff in the NHS. Over a million
messages  are sent every day by the system.  To find  out why more and
more NHS personnel are  switching to  this NHS  Connecting  for Health
system please visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

____________________

INFORMATION NOTICE

Please check for viruses before accessing this email and any attachments.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential information and is intended only to be seen and used by the named addressee(s). However, even if confidential, the information contained within it may be subject to public disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act (2000), unless it is legally exempt from disclosure. If you are not a named addressee, any use, disclosure, copying, alteration or forwarding of this email and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately by email or by telephoning 01342 414000 and permanently delete this email and any attachments from your system.

The views expressed within this email and any attachments are those of the writer and are not necessarily the views or policies of Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Except as required by law, the Trust shall not be responsible for any damage, loss or liability of any kind suffered in connection with this email and any attachments, or which may result from reliance on the contents of this email and any attachments.

If you wish to make a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act (2000), please send your request to [log in to unmask]

Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Website: www.qvh.nhs.uk
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Switchboard: 01342 414000
IT Support: 01342 414411