Dear all

Our new library will have student PCs in various locations across three
floors. This replaces an arrangement in which all the Library PCs were
in a single location, allowing easy visual identification of vacant
places and a single physical queue. (Screens were available showing the
occupancy of computer rooms in other buildings.)

There will be many more PCs in our new library than in the old, but
we're still expecting demand to outstrip supply at some times. We want
to avoid students wandering around looking for the shortest queue - and
ideally do away with queues altogether. We're nervous about a remote
advance booking system because of the likelihood of people not turning
up for their booked session. I wondered if anyone has a system in place
which allows students within the Library to register a booking for the
next available PC, giving them a few minutes to get to it before the PC
is released for the next person. Ideally, the student would be alerted
to a PC becoming available by text.

I'm happy to share advice or recommendations with the list.

Regards

Christine Fyfe
University Librarian
University of Leicester
PO Box 248
University Road
Leicester LE1 9QD
T: +44(0)116 252 2034
F: +44(0)116 252 2066
E: [log in to unmask]

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet Anti-Virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.