Logical Hubs will as far as I can see either be topically defined e.g. mental health or media defined e.g. e-books and e-journals.  For the end user it should make the whole search experience easier because it should be more intuitive to them.  Mind you I agree with Dave, what makes sense to me doesn't often to a lot of other people!

The more important line in the report though is

search query syntax mapping -translating search syntax used within NLH to that of the underlying targets

Effictively this means that we can benefit form the advantages of controlled vocabularies outside of the sources we use and tems should be translated into a variety of controlled vocabularies at once via something like a taxonomy server.  If this is achievable it'll be mightily impressive!  The key thing for me is this must be married with the ability to develop complex searches along the Dialog/Cochrane model of search histories as opposed to the Google model of bang the search in and either get it right or wrong.

The other aspect that concerns me slightly is that the emphasis on developing Research Pane technology seems to ignore the fact that NHS IT seldom works at the cutting edge of Microsoft technology despite the licensing agreements allowing us to do so.  We've still not rolled out XP here let alone Vista, I suspect we aren't alone.  Office 2000 is still the preferred software not 2007.

If anyone has comments that need taking to TDAG can you let me know.

Kieran

Kieran Lamb
Head of Library Services
Fade Library