Hi Fred,

Our project OARINZ (Open access repositories in New Zealand)
www.oarinz.ac.nz had the same needs as you.  We ended up implementing
PKP Harvester as the base tool and extended it with a SRU/W
http://www.loc.gov/standards/sru/srw/ plugin which enables Metadata
searching through either a SOAP Webservice or a  RESTful service e.g.

http://harvester.oarinz.ac.nz/index.php/sru?version=1.1&operation=searchRetrieve&query=dc%3Atitle+%3D+%22test%22

All your site would have to do is be able to (serverside) send a HTTP
or SOAP request  and transform the results.  We are currently developing
a better plugin that enables mix and match schema indexes e.g.
mods:titleInfo = "test" or dc:title = "test", And multiple schema output
e.g. mods output on a dc query.

Cheers
Kris

>>> Leslie Carr <[log in to unmask]> 23/05/2007 2:48 a.m. >>>
You want to use the Google CSE interface. Have a look at
www.macworld.com - the search is limited to a list of sites that is
defined by the administrator.
--
Les

On 22 May 2007, at 12:38, Riley Fred wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right list to post this query to as
> most of
> the discussion on here seems to be about higher-level issues, so if

> this
> is too 'tech' please let me know where it should be posted. I'm
trying
> to find out if there are any tools in existence which a web
developer
> could use to put a OAI-PMH harvester on a site, so that the site
users
> could search specific repositories without leaving the safety and
> comfort of the site. Basically a sort of 'meta-search' engine
> interface
> integrated seamlessly into a site. Plainly there are harvesters out
> there, such as the marvellous OAIster, but the punters have to
> travel to
> those sites to use them. The tool I'm looking for would allow the
> developer to specify particular repositories with OAI-PMH services,

> and
> allow the end-user to query them without having to go to the
> repository
> itself and thus have to familiarise themselves with a new interface.
>
> I've had a hunt around for this sort of thing lately and I don't
think
> it exists, but I figure that if such a thing does exist then folk on
> here are most likely to know about it ;-). I've had a look on the
OAI
> tools list at http://www.openarchives.org/pmh/tools/tools.php but
> although there are plenty of useful Perl, Java and PHP libraries
which
> developers can use to develop OAI search tools, there's nothing
> 'ready-rolled' as far as I can see. TIA for any answers.
>
> Cheers
>
> Fred
>
> Fred Riley
> Learning Technologist/Media Developer
> School of Nursing
> University of Nottingham
> Queens Medical Centre
> NG7 2HA
>
> Tel: +44 (0)115 82 30865
> Email: [log in to unmask]

> attachment
> may still contain software viruses, which could damage your
> computer system:
> you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications
> with the
> University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK
> legislation.

Scanned by Bizo Email Filter