With best regards and apologies for cross-posting,

Florian Mussgnug
Department of Italian, UCL
-----

FIFTH INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE CONFERENCE IN ITALIAN AND COMPARATIVE LITERATURE

with the support of the AHRC-sponsored Joint Postgraduate Training
Programme in
Italian, Universities of Cambridge, Oxford and Reading, Royal Holloway,
UCL and
the University of Bologna.

***********
EX-CENTRIC
***********

University College London
4 May - 5 May 2007

Friday, 4 May 2007
Chadwick Lecture Theatre, UCL

2.00	Florian Mussgnug (UCL)
Introduction

2.10	TRAVELS IN LITERARY SPACE

Francesco Giustini (Bologna)
Ultime notizie dal limes. Centralità del margine e marginalità del
centro ne Le
città invisibili e La guerra del fin del mundo.

Siobhan Henderson (UCL)
Giorgio Manganelli’s Ex-centric Travels

Giles Walker (Oxford)
Why do Luigi Pulci's Morgante and Margutte have to die?

3.40	EX-CENTRIC IDENTITIES

Francesca Giommi (Bologna)
Black British e Black Italian. Antinomie della modernità, centralità delle
culture e delle identità dei margini.

Rosaria Carbotti (Bologna)
Transiti: Genere e marginalità in Stone Butch Blues e Il viaggio di Arnold

Nicola Ibba (UCL)
Eccentricity and homosexuality in E.M.Forster’s Maurice and Umberto Saba's
Ernesto: just a matter of subject?

5.10 KEYNOTE SPEAKER
Prof Naomi Segal (IGRS)
Words, bodies & stone

------

Saturday, 5 May 2007
Chadwick Lecture Theatre, UCL

9.30	EX-CENTRIC THEORY

Anna Giuliani (Bologna)
Il Barocco eccentrico della modernità.

Pierpaolo Antonello (Cambridge)
The Science of Ex-centricity

11.00	WRITING FROM THE MARGINS

Francesco Cattani (Bologna)
Livelli di eccentricità nella scrittura di Ornela Vorpsi

Emanuela Tandello (Oxford)
Altre residenze: dialect and poetry

12.00	MEDIA EX-CENTRICITIES

Sebastiano Caroni (UCL)
Pierre Bourdieu: ex-centric sociologist and public intellectual

Francesco Ghelli (Bologna)
Da Mike Bongiorno a Platinette: figure dell’eccentricità fra
paleo-televisione e
neo-televisione

1.00	Conclusions

This conference seeks to gain insight, from a variety of disciplinary
angles and
cultural practices, into how individuals and communities construct,
perceive and
represent eccentricity. We will explore and assess the relevance of
conventional
definitions of eccentricity – such as “deviating from usual methods, odd,
whimsical” (OED) – in relation to theories of cultural and social
identity. How
do social conventions and artistic practice define our understanding of
cultural
centres and margins? What is the relation between eccentricity and social
critique? How does eccentricity reflect psychological and physical
displacement? How does it relate to ethnic and gender identity?

For further details please contact
Florian Mussgnug ([log in to unmask])

To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME
to: [log in to unmask]
To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies
to: [log in to unmask]
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html