Dear all,

Thank you very much for all your responses.  Please see below for recommended textile artists and tactile resources.

Melissa Lurie

Education Officer

Greenwich Foundation for the Old Royal Naval College

( 020 8269 4715

: www.oldroyalnavalcollege.org

Hello Melissa,

There are number of products on the market that allow you to create tactile sheets from a standard printer. They are particularly useful for children & adults with special needs (dyslexia, dyspraxia, motor skills impairments etc).

Here are some links about these types of product:

http://www.nctd.org.uk/MakingTG/thermo.asp

http://www.nctd.org.uk/MakingTG/swell.asp

Some SN Educational resources for young children (with motor impairments):

http://www.alomental.com/index_files/page0006.htm

http://www.ldalearning.com/scripts/detail.php?intItemCode=MT00432

http://www.jollylearning.co.uk/matfin.htm

I hope these are of some use to you.

Best wishes,

Ro Rai

Atticmedia Ltd

www.atticmedia.com

Try:

www.woollythoughts.com/

I seem to remember they do all sorts of textiles - there is a mathematical bend to many of their things, but they will be up for something bespoke. They are experienced at using their products with children.

Hope this helps.

selwyn

Selwyn van Zeller
Maths iin a Suitcase
Science in a Suitcase

7 Station Avenue
Edgbaston
B16 9SZ

0121 429 9327

Hello Melissa

Ruth Singer is an excellent textile artist. She also has a strong background

in museum and gallery education (having worked as the interpretation officer

at London's Transport Museum and as Adult Education officer at the V&A).

She's really imaginative and creative and I'm sure would work with you to

create something wonderful!

www.ruthsinger.com

07740 345 062

Fosse Arts

Fosse Centre

Mantle Rd

Leicester

LE3 5HG

Also the Geffrye Museum has a beautiful tactile rug which is hung in front

of the children during a storytelling session. The children come up at

various parts of the story to find the animals hidden in the rug. The head

of Education at the Geffrye 'Alison Lightbown' developed the session and I'm

sure she would be a good person to talk to about creating this sort of

resource:

All the best with your project!

Laura Coughlin

Heritage Learning Consultant

Not sure if this is exactly her thing, but: http://www.catherinegrimaldi.co.uk/

BRyony

Bryony Kelly
Education Officer
Museums and Records Service
City Museum and Records Office
Museum Road
Portsmouth
PO1 2LJ
Tel: (023) 9282 7261
Fax: (023) 9287 5276
mailto:[log in to unmask]
www.portsmouthmuseums.co.uk

hello melissa, catherine norman from the woman's library forwarded your jem

list enquiry to me. i made a large replica of a suffragette banner for the

handling collection at the library which was very well received. i am an

artist who works in education, mostly with children and my back ground is in

textiles (BA + MA).

this project sounds really interesting, do get in touch if you require

further info .

kind regards, karen logan

---------------------------------------

Karen Logan

68 tower hamlets road

walthamstow

london

e17 4rh

020 3233 0169

07841 870441

http://www.karenlogan.com

Hi Melissa,

Highly recommended artists!

Both Textiles - designers of scuptural and tactile textiles for the interior.

Artist/contact Names: Ruth Waller & Lee Hewett

Tel: 01909 501881

Address: Studio 2, Tan Gallop, Welbeck. Nottinghamshire. S80 3NH

email: [log in to unmask]

web: www.iloveboth.co.uk

I hope you find what you’re looking for. J

Best regards, David

Dr.David Prytherch
Research
Fellow in Haptics & Computer Interfaces for Craft

Birmingham Institute of Art & Design
University
of Central England
Corporation Street
Gosta Green
Birmingham B4 7DX
Email
: david.[log in to unmask]

Tel: +44 (0) 121 331 5864

I don’t have a contact for them but I know the Natural History Museum have some amazing prototypes for a fabric book. They are really beautifully designed. Maybe you can get in touch with them?

What a nice project to have!

Claire

Claire Parker

Volunteer Manager and Schools Co-ordinator

Handel House Museum

020 7399 1952

25 Brook Street, London. W1K 4HB

www.handelhouse.org

Please note I do not work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

My working week is Thursday to Monday.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Melissa, Try Jennifer Vickers who works part time at Gallery Oldham – she produced some fab work for our community projects

Regards

ann

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've worked with a textile artist called Penny Godfrey on a school project and she was very good. She is based in Yorkshire though, so I don't know if that would be too far away?

Becky Milner

Outreach Education Officer

Calderdale MBC

Libraries, Museums & Arts