I think Benny Liberg mentioned MRIConvert already, but I'll mention it again. It will take a directory full of files and sort them into the appropriate volumes automatically. It does use the DICOM image orientation information to correctly align the slices. If you find it does not sort your data correctly, let me know and I will be happy to fix it. It includes a command line utility (for Windows or linux) so it is scriptable. You can get it at lcni.uoregon.edu/~jolinda/MRIConvert. I also have a little command-line utility (DicomSorter) that reads a directory of dicom files and sorts it into subject, study, and series. You might find that useful.

Benny says it has some problems with his mprage images, but we certainly haven't observed this at our site. I'm still waiting for him to provide me with some example data so I can investigate.

Jolinda

--
Jolinda Smith
MR Physicist