Dear Colleagues,

Would anyone be prepared to respond to this query from Gayle Robins.

All good wishes,

Olive

>>> "Robins, Gayle" <[log in to unmask]> 09/05/2007 06:01

Hello Mrs Goddard

When I evaluate a clinical trial, I use the Oxford Centre for Evidence
Based Medicine's recommendation as a guideline for whether the
information provided by the trial could be considered as best
evidence.
I note that individual randomised controlled trials  with narrow
confidence intervals are considered as level 1b on your levels of
evidence chart. Please can you advise me where, if at all,  subgroup
analyses of these level 1b randomised clinical trials would fall on
the
best-evidence hierarchy.

I realise that there are many different types of subgroup analysis:
those that are defined apriori versus retrospectively or on an ad-hoc
basis; those that address the same outcome of interest that the
randomised controlled trial was designed to assess versus other
outcomes; and those that are part of a plethora of subgroup analyses
of
the same trial and so require correction for multiplicity,  to name a
few.

Are any subgroup analyses of level 1b randomised controlled trials
ever
considered best evidence?

Thanks you for your time taken to read this email. I would appreciate
any advice that you can give me, or people that I could contact, in
this
regard.

Gayle Robins
Team Leader