Dear All,
I am looking for suggestions please. I am trying to put together a
reading list of "essential" readings in EBM. These are ones beyond the
primer stage, aimed at postgraduates interested in an in-depth
understanding of EBM.
So do you have key articles you can suggest?
I have appended my tentative list below (but you might like to think
about your own first),
Many thanks
Paul Glasziou

Essential Readings in EBM
1.    Straus SE, McAlister FA. Evidence-based medicine: a commentary on
common criticisms. CMAJ. 2000 Oct 3;163(7):837-41.
2.    Antman EM, Lau J, Kupelnick B, Mosteller F, Chalmers TC. A
comparison of results of meta-analyses of randomized control trials and
recommendations of clinical experts. Treatments for myocardial
infarction. JAMA. 1992 Jul 8;268(2):240-8.
3.    McAlister FA, Clark HD, van Walraven C, Straus SE, Lawson FM,
Moher D, Mulrow CD. The medical review article revisited: has the
science improved? Ann Intern Med. 1999 Dec 21;131(12):947-51.
4.    Haynes RB. Of studies, syntheses, synopses, summaries, and
systems: the "5S" evolution of information services for evidence-based
healthcare decisions. Evid Based Med. 2006 Dec;11(6):162-4.
5.    McKibbon KA, Wilczynski NL, Haynes RB. What do evidence-based
secondary journals tell us about the publication of clinically important
articles in primary healthcare journals? BMC Med. 2004 Sep 6;2:33.
6.    Chan AW, Hrobjartsson A, Haahr MT, Gotzsche PC, Altman DG.
Empirical evidence for selective reporting of outcomes in randomized
trials: comparison of protocols to published articles. JAMA. 2004 May
26;291(20):2457-65.
7.    Schulz KF, Chalmers I, Hayes RJ, Altman DG. Empirical evidence of
bias. Dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of
treatment effects in controlled trials. JAMA. 1995 Feb 1;273(5):408-12.
8.    Glasziou P, Chalmers I, Rawlins M, McCulloch P.  When are
randomised trials unnecessary? Picking signal from noise. BMJ. 2007 Feb
17;334(7589):349-51.
9.    Guyatt GH, Meade MO, Jaeschke RZ, Cook DJ, Haynes RB.
Practitioners of evidence based care. Not all clinicians need to
appraise evidence from scratch but all need some skills. BMJ. 2000 Apr
8;320(7240):954-5.
10.    Coomarasamy A, Khan KS What is the evidence that postgraduate
teaching in evidence based medicine changes anything? A systematic
review. 2004;329;1017 BMJ
11.    Jackson R, Ameratunga S, Broad J, Connor J, Lethaby A, Robb G,
Wells S, Glasziou P, Heneghan C. The GATE frame: critical appraisal with
pictures. Evid Based Med. 2006 Apr;11(2):35-8.
12.    Sackett DL, Straus SE.  Finding and applying evidence during
clinical rounds: the "evidence cart". JAMA. 1998 Oct 21;280(15):1336-8.
13.    Straus SE, Ball C, Balcombe N, Sheldon J, McAlister FA. Teaching
evidence-based medicine skills can change practice in a community
hospital. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 Apr;20(4):340-3.

--
Paul Glasziou
Director, Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine,