________________________________

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Callaghan, Brigid
Sent: 30 May 2007 15:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'evidence'

Hello,

1)    When a student declares a disability to your disability team, do
you ask for 'evidence' of the disability? i.e. doctors letter,
consultants letter, Ed  Psych report etc?  Here and at my previous
institution we did, I can't see how we couldn't - can you?

2)    If a student declares to an academic dept - NOT the disability
team, and for some reason this does not get through to the disability
team by any route, should the student show the academic dept 'evidence'
? -  I understand that we have a duty to support a student with a
disability once they have declared to someone in the institution, it's
just this issue about academic depts and 'evidence'.

 The DRC can not give me a definite answer on this second point. They
say there is nothing in the legislation  about producing 'evidence'.
They say the student must fall under the definition of a person who is
disabled under the DDA which as we know is The Act defines a disabled
person as a person with 'a physical or mental impairment which has a
substantial and long-term adverse effect on his ability to carry out
normal day-to-day activities'

However in order to 'prove' that they 'fit' under this definition, would
some evidence not have to be produced to the academic dept?

What are you thoughts?

Brigid

Brigid Callaghan
Senior Disability Adviser
Student Services
University of Bolton
Deane Rd
Bolton
BL3 5AB
To make an appointment: 01204  903733.
Direct line: 01204 903803
Minicom: 01204 903490

P. Please do not print off this email unless absolutely necessary - save
the planet.