It was under the auspices of a hospital but at another GP's surgery.
Somewhat disorganised and complex.

I expect they needed the number to misfile my record

-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Landau
Sent: 02 May 2007 17:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] While we are on medical things

Was this at your local hospital? It should presumably have been done through
a computer system rather than by phone.

In fact, some years ago I worked at a Central London Mental Health Trust
where one of my jobs was to look up the NHS numbers of patients for the
Trust to identify which PCT the patient lived in, for the purpose of
obtaining payment for the Trust. The patients could have been from anywhere
in the country and, by definition, they would have often been admitted in an
emergency.

In that case, the information is contained on the NHS Strategic Tracing
Service and I had to have be specially registered to do this.

See http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/systemsandservices/nsts

If you are a patient of the PCT they would have your name and address on
their register with NHS Number.

I have no doubt that NHS colleagues will tell you what the correct procedure
should have been.

It seems to me that you could have just claimed to be Tim Trent and got
treatment that wasn't intended for you.

I am not quite clear why they specifically needed your NHS Number at that
point. Was it to obtain your record? I assume that your name and address
would have accessed that?

My final point would be that, at the very minimum, if someone rings up by
phone that there should be a procedure whereby the surgery rings the number
back to check who they are speaking to. I am sure that there are protocols
for that.

Nick Landau

Nick Landau's Profile on LinkedIn.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicklandau1