This article was published on www.climatedenial.org
<http://www.climatedenial.org>. Please add any comments or points of
view on the site. Please circulate.

*_Why was The Great Global Warming Swindle so persuasive?
<http://climatedenial.org/2007/05/01/why-was-the-great-global-warming-swindle-so-persuasive/>_*

Why is our belief in climate change still so fragile that many well
meaning people have written to this blog claiming that a polemic
propaganda film has changed their view of climate change? Surely this
requires some explanation.

The fans of the film would argue that it has been effective because it
is true. But truth is not, of itself, persuasive. When we receive new
information on a topic we have no idea whether it is true or not. We
base our conclusions on how it was presented to us, whether it concurs
with what we already know about that topic, how far we trust the person
telling us, and how well that information fits inside our world view. We
then seek to match our initial conclusions against the conclusions of
our peers.

So, although we think we seek truth, the process by which we reach
opinions is equally capable of leading us in the wrong direction. It
turns out that Swindle was a collection of rather crude distortions in
an elegant package. We now know that the data was misrepresented, the
charts re-arranged, and the interviews edited in ways that were designed
to mislead.

To cite just one example: the graph that purported to show that global
temperatures had fallen between 1940 and 1975. Although it bore the
label "NASA" it bore no resemblance to any NASA map of 20th century
temperatures. The likely source was a graph in a climate skeptic
publication which was then further distorted: the axis at the bottom of
the graph was extended to make it look up to date, and all the
inconvenient wobbles were ironed out. The producer of the programme,
Martin Durkin explained that "the original data was very wiggly-lined
and we wanted the simplest line we could find." So the programme took a
graph from a propoganda magazine, redrew it to tell the story it wanted
and then credited it to a reputable scientific institution". More...
<http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/climate_change/article2355956.ece>

But I don't want to go any further into the specific claims of the
programme. I want to ask a much more interesting question: why were
people persuaded by a programme that they knew contradicted the vast
body of reputable scientific opinion. Here are some explanations.

*1. It followed a trusted format*

Fifty years of public service broadcasting has created a standard
science documentary format. Interviews with scientists and animated
graphics are intercut with general footage of an issue, sometimes a
little montage. The whole thing is held together by the modulated
authoritative voice-over of a professional male actor.

We trust this familiar and dull format because we assume that
broadcasters and science documentaries do not knowingly lie. Yes we know
that they may twist and simplify things a little to tell a good yarn,
but we do not expect them to ignore all opposing views or redraw and
mislabel graphs. Years of responsible public service broadcasting has
giving documentaries a credibility that we would never permit to
newspapers columnists, chat shows, or politicians.

One way we assess plausibility is through familiarity so Durkin cleverly
mimicked all the ingredients of the classic science documentary format.
When we saw that Swindle looked and sounded like the respectable and
worthy BBC2 science documentaries we assumed, based on past experience,
that it would be carefully researched and the facts checked.

Durkin's greatest deception was the absence of a visible narrator.
According to the conventions of broadcasting, the narrator can be
invisible only when the case he is putting is uncontroversial and
unpolitical. When a position is politicized the convention requires that
we see the person presenting it so that we can understand that it is
their point of view and open to challenge. When there is a serious
difference of opinion we should see people presenting an opposing point
of view.

A typical exercise of these conventions was the Dispatches programme on
climate change presented on Channel Four the week before Swindle. The
presenter George Monbiot introduced himself at the outset- so we knew
that this would be a personal argument. Anyone he challenged was allowed
a space to issue a formal refutation. Indeed the programme looked as
though it had been edited by lawyers.

Channel Four gave Swindle a free reign hoping to milk the resulting
controversy (and knowing that the IPCC would not sue). In so doing it
exploited the professionalism of everyone who has created and adhered to
the conventions that made Swindle its credibility.

*2. It wheeled out experts*

We respect the expertise of people with academic titles and positions in
leading universities assuming, with good reason, that they know what
they are talking about and are bound by a set of principles. That trust
has been built through long established precedent and strict
professional ethics.

Swindle exploited that trust. It interviewed an array of experts, many
with impressive qualification and positions in reputable scientific
institutions. But the labels were often deceptive, giving people
positions that they had not held for years. Patrick Michaels was
described as "Former Director of the US National Weather Service" when
he has never held this position.

The programme exploited the codes of science communication. Professional
scientists are usually extremely cautious, prefacing their statements
with dithering caveats such as "it is still too early to draw a firm
conclusion but the data suggests that...". By this measure when
professional scientists are highly confident and assertive we assume
that what they say is beyond contest.

And the programme avoided any unfortunate confrontations with real
scientists and allowing them no space on the programme.

*3. It used tried and tested denial arguments*

Swindle was the product of a public relations campaign that has been
carefully honing its arguments for nearly two decades. During this time
many arguments have been tried and discarded. The contrarians (including
the old hands like Singer and Michaels who appeared on the programme)
used to argue that increased carbon dioxide would be great for the
environment. Then they argued that there was no conclusive evidence that
temperatures were rising. By 2005 this argument became hard to maintain
in the face of a string of record temperatures.

Strangely it is the argument that carbon dioxide does not cause climate
change that has survived and prospered. In scientific terms this is a
far greater deceit that previous arguments because it denies the basic
physics behind the greenhouse effect. It clearly begs the question: what
is /preventing /carbon dioxide, a known greenhouse gas, from retaining
heat in the atmosphere? But this is no longer about valid or rational
arguments- it is about the arguments that sell.

Even though these arguments have their own evolutionary history, the
real inspiration behind Swindle is Al Gore's film An Inconvenient Truth.
Durkin has openly declared his interest in 'putting the record right'
and producing a mass market film to counters Gore's arguments. But this
is not just Durkin's interest.

In July 2006 Ross Gelbspan (see last posting) published a leaked
internal memo by Stanley Lewandowski, General Manager of the
Intermountain Rural Electric Association - a Colorado based electricity
generator to the heads of 50 other power utilities. Link....
<http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?ID=6021&Method=Full>

Lewandowski expressed concern over the success of Gore's film and stated
the IREA's commitment to "support the scientific community that is
willing to stand up against the alarmists and bring a balance to the
discussion". He praises Dr Patrick Michaels, Fred SInger and Richard
Lindzen, the key stars of Swindle, and says that the "IREA has decided
to contribute $100,000 to Dr Michaels". In Swindle Michaels aggressively
states that he has never received a penny in funding from industry
interests. Clearly this is a man whose word can be trusted.

The memo goes on to say that "Koch industries is working with other
large corporations, including AEP and the Southern Company, on possibly
financing a film that would counteract an Inconvenient Truth".

Swindle fits neatly into this US strategy to counter Gore's success.
Last month Fred Singer wrote a widely distributed article stating that
"Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth, has met its match". Now I
cannot claim that Swindle received funding from any US source, but I
would be certain that it received substantial advice and support from
the US denial networks. I am absolutely confident that they will adopt
this film as a core material and will pull out all the stops to ensure
that it is shown on US television.

And lo and behold, look at the IREA website and there is a big plug for
Swindle saying that it shows that "if the planet is heating up, it isn't
your fault and there's nothing you can do about it".

*4. The main reason- people /want /to believe it*

It is remarkable that people's belief in climate change is still so
fragile that the firm consensus of the world's scientific bodies can be
challenged by a polemic documentary produced, let us remind ourselves,
by the same channel that put out Celebrity Big Brother.

This requires some explanation. It would be entirely possible, assuming
that Channel Four has no residual principles at all, to put together a
similar documentary on just about any offensive theory: the lack of gas
chambers at Auschwitz; the lack of connection between HIV and AIDs; the
lower IQ of black people or the disproof of evolution.

It would be easy to find enough 'proof', graphs, and attention-seeking
academics to fill any documentary. But I don't think it would persuade
anyone. In all these cases we accept the existing opinion even though,
in truth, we rarely know enough to be able to defend it.

So ultimately the success of any lie does not depend on how well it is
packaged or how many experts are wheeled out but whether people want to
believe it, whether it reinforces or validates their world view, or
whether it makes them feel better. White supremacists want to believe
that other races are less intelligent. Muslim extremists want to believe
in an international Jewish conspiracy- which is why every Islamic
bookshop in the middle east has copies of the odious 100 year old
forgery "the Protocols of the Elders of Zion".

And many many intelligent people want to believe that climate change is
a myth. Maybe they find it too threatening to their world view. Maybe
they are scared by the predictions. Maybe they find the solutions too
challenging to the lifestyle they believe they have earned.

There is no doubt in my mind that the key reason why Swindle worked was
because it spoke to a very powerful hope that climate change doesn't
actually exist. This is a perilous time for belief- after years of
ignoring climate change and hoping it will go away British society is on
the end of edge of actually taking it seriously.

Among the lies it peddled was the notion that environmentalists and
scientists have a vested interest in promoting this problem. In fact we
would love it if we were wrong. I know several scientists and green
campaigners, myself amongst them, who felt an initial wave of hope
watching Swindle that there might really still be some doubt about their
work. The first thing that we said to each other the next morning in my
office was "please tell me that there was some truth in there".

Such is the power of our denial. Such is our desire to turn away. The
real skeptics are not the ones on the tv screen but the ones in our
heads and we will grasp at any lie, however transparent, to keep them alive.

--
George Marshall,
Climate Outreach Information Network,

The Climate Outreach Information Network is a charitable trust with the objective of 'advancing the education of the public in the subject of climate change and its impact on local, national, and global environments'.
Charity registration number  1102225

DONATE ONLINE to our work by visiting:
https://www.charitychoice.co.uk/donation.asp?ref=153334

Please join our discussion-free announcements lists by sending a blank e-mail to:
NATIONAL EVENTS- [log in to unmask]
OXFORD EVENTS - [log in to unmask]
COIN NEWS- [log in to unmask]