Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 44: May 29, 2007

From the Editor

Last week I gave a series of lectures on heterodox microeconomics at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia in Bogota. I was treated very well, the students were very interesting, and the sightseeing wonderful. In the course of my lectures I mentioned something about taxes, government printing money, and chartalism that generated a great deal of interest among the audience, certainly more so than my discussion of pricing and prices, which some of my colleagues at UMKC will say is quite natural.

On Friday, June 1 the 2nd ICAPE Conference – Economic Pluralism for the 21st Century – begins. There will be over 200 economists at the conference includes loads of graduate students and young professors. If you cannot make the Conference, then check out its web site, which is given below. Look at the papers being presented and if some strike your fancy, then go to the presenters index to get their e-mail address and then e-mail them for their paper. Rob Garnett and company have done a wonderful job organizing the Conference.

Prior to the AHE Conference in Bristol United Kingdom on 13-15 July 2007 there will be a Postgraduate Workshop on Advanced Research Methods run by Paul Downward. It is open to postgraduate students studying in the UK (and others if they pay their own way). It is a very exciting workshop where various kinds of research methods are covered, not just econometrics. For further information, see below.

There are a number of new calls for papers to check out as well as many conferences and seminars that are taking place. In addition, among the journals you might want to look at La Revista de Economia Institucional; and among the many interesting books in the Newsletter, you might want to look at Microeconomia Heterodoxa. Finally, the Newsletter has been added to INTUTE: Social Sciences--see below.

One final note, check out “Hip Heterodoxy” below and find out why Peter Dorman (that brilliant heterodox economist) was called an astrologer by Hal Varian as well as various little-known and well-known facts, tales, and stories about heterodox economics.

Fred Lee

In this issue:

Call for Papers

- JSPE 55th Annual Conference- 2007
- World Association for Political Economy
- The 2007 Historical Materialism Conference
- The Challenge to Restore Full Employment December 6-7, 2007
- L’esprit de l’innovation III
- The Spirit of Innovation III

Conferences, Seminars and Lectures

- Association of Heterodox Economics
- The USSEE 2008 Conference
- Canadian Economics Association
- Séminaire Hétérodoxies du CES - Matisse
- Wellbeing in International Development
- Conference on Africa, 30th June 2007
- The Contemporary Prehistory of Capitalism: Debating "So-Called Primitive Accumulation" Today
- II Seminario Internacional Complutense (S.I.C.)
- II International Complutense Conference
- Seminarie Arc 2

Job Postings for Heterodox Economists

- Berlin School of Economics
- The Economic Policy Institute
- Universidad Nacional de Colombia

Heterodox Conference Papers and Reports and Articles

- "An Interview with the Chairman"

Heterodox Journals and Newsletters

- Issues in Regulation Theory
- JOURNEES D’ETUDE DE PHILOSOPHIE ECONOMIQUE
- Journal of the History of Economic Thought
- Econ Journal Watch
- Policy Brief Series
- Review of Political Economy
- La Revista de Economía Institucional
- Challenge
- Levy News

International Confederation of Associations for Pluralism in Economics - News
- ICAPE Conference

Heterodox Books, Book Series, and Book Reviews

- Ideas, Policies and Economic Development in the Americas
- Policy Notes for National Development Strategies
- Microeconomia Heterodoxa
- Modern State Intervention In The Era Of Globalisation
- The Vocation of Business: Social Justice in the Marketplace
- Consumer Capitalism
- Public Investment in High-Quality Prekindergarten
- Wall Street: How it works and for whom

Heterodox Websites

- Intute: Social Sciences

For Your Information

- Innovation Metrics
- Tufts Institute Awards Annual Economics Prize
- ‘Hip Heterodoxy’