Dear All,
   As many of you may know, methane is lost from peatland soils via
various mechanisms including plant-mediated transport. In some cases
plant-mediated transport is active, in others purely passive (i.e. via
diffusion). I am trying to find out if active transport occurs in
Eriophorum angustifolium and Rhynchospora alba. I haven't been able to
find any papers dealing with the latter. Of the papers dealing with
the former, the *suggestion* is that transport is passive/diffusive
but I haven't seen clear evidence that demonstrates unequivocally that
this is so. I'd be most grateful if any of you could shed light on
this matter.
Best wishes,
Andy Baird.

--
Andrew J. Baird
Professor of Physical Geography

***Note new London 'phone number***

tel.: +44 (0)20 7882 2779 OR +44 (0)1733 254138; fax.: +44 (0)20 8981 6276
web page: http://www.geog.qmul.ac.uk/staff/baird.html
********
Research areas: physical processes (water and heat transfer) in wetland soils;
methane dynamics in peat soils; ecohydrological linkages in northern
peatlands;
environmental modelling.
********