From: Accessibuilt list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Hunt, Alan
Sent: 11 May 2007 13:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACCESSIBUILT] Temporary ramp

Hi Jan

Not a definitive list but they should consider.....

> is the pavement wide enough for a wheelchair user to make the turn to
> use
the ramp when it is deployed.
> make sure that the ramp is not too steep.
> if the pavement slopes across the entrance it may be necessary to use
> 2no
narrow 'skid' ramps. A conventional ramp is likely to rock if the
pavement and step are not parallel with one another.
> there needs to be a bell or intercom at the entrance which can be
> reached
from a wheelchair so that visitors can call for assistance. (an
alternative is a device called 'Service Call' www.service-call.net)
> make sure that the bell/intercom contrasts in colour with its
background.
> make sure that there is a large print sign to let people know what the
bell is for. (eg please ring for assistance)
> a visible indication (light) that the bell has sounded would be of
> benefit
for people with hearing difficulties and would also help prevent people
pressing the bell continuously because they are not sure that it is
working.
> make sure that staff are trained to respond to the bell promptly at
> all
times.
> consider installing a canopy over the door to shelter a person from
> the
rain. (may require planning consent)

Alan