From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ceridwen Coulson
Sent: 10 May 2007 18:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Standardised test profiles - ACB Scientific Committee

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceridwen Coulson
Sent: 10 May 2007 17:57
To: 'Eric Kilpatrick'

Eric,
I tried to remove sodium from the GP creatinine and electrolyte profile [having reduced this with much cooperation or silence to creatinine,sodium and potassium for GP patients,ureas easily available on request or added by us] some years ago and met a howl of protest.It was just one step too far.
For hospital patients we measure urea,creatinine,potassium and sodium.
Would not support routinely reporting chloride,nor bicarbonate.

Since there seems to now be some discussion beginning on the mailbase,what do people think about alk phos being part of a "bone profile"?I think,on balance,it probably has value,and we include it locally.Realise it's non-specific,but can alert to problems,eg Pagets.

Ceridwen