-----Original Message-----
From: Ellis, Graham
Sent: 04 May 2007 12:39
To: McCullough, Derreck Dr.
Subject: FW: Total Bilirubin on the Abbott Aeroset

From: Ellis, Graham
Sent: 04 May 2007 10:42
To: McCombe, Stephen
Subject: Total Bilirubin on the Abbott Aeroset

Dear List Members

Many Aeroset users may be aware of the interference by indoxyl sulphate (found in the serum of patients with severe renal disease) on the "new" Abbott total bilirubin (diazo) method. (6L45-20 or 6L45-40).

The method was designed to replace the oxidation method 7D60-02.

Abbott state in the pack insert that the addition of 0.25 mmol/L indoxyl sulphate to specimens increased the total bilirubin by a maximum of 1.5 mg/dL. Read casually, this may not seem important (even if you realize that 1.5 mg/dL is 25.7 mmol/L).  We are all used to adding a few hundred mg of cholesterol to steroid assays and the cross reactivity making no difference.

However after changing to the diazo method, our renal physician contacted us almost immediately to ask what had happened to the bilirubin method?

Patients on haemodialysis monitored regularly, suddenly showed an increase in bilirubin.

We have moved back to the oxidation method, pending a "fix" from Abbott for the diazo method. While we had both methods on our Aerosets, we did a very brief comparison, shown below (oxidation method in brackets) in umol/L:

Normal (non-renal unit) patients: 24 (20), 11 (10), 30 (27), 22 (20), 25 (24).

Renal Unit (haemodialysis): 19 (5), 30 (4), 34 (5), 23 (3), 15 (5), 36 (3), 21 (3)

Graham Ellis and Stephen McCombe

St. John's Hospital

Livingston

West Lothian

legally privileged and is intended for the addressee only. If you

have received this message in error or there are any problems

please notify the originator immediately. The unauthorised use,

disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is

strictly forbidden.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/