May 21, 2007

Dear colleagues,

Steffen Mau (from the Graduate School of Social Sciences) and I are
involved in editing a three volume reference collection (of 1.958 pp.)
on the welfare state and its 'reformation' since the 1970s. This is a
follow up collection to the three volumes of Robert Goodin and Deborah
Mitchell (2000) on "Foundations of the Welfare State". The set will
appear with Edward Elgar in Fall 2007.

Though (with some 450 EP) quite expensive (because of the prices charged
for the copy rights for the reprints) it may be quite useful as a
teaching tool in Graduate Studies and as a backup in the Library. The
collection has grown from our PhD education courses on "Welfare State
Theory" at the Graduate School of Social Sciences in Bremen since 2002.
The volumes also contain a literature update to Nicholas Barr's (2001)
"Economic Theory of the Welfare State", also three volumes.

As not to burden you any further with big (or small) attachments you can
find
* a flyer about the volumes (with praises by N. Barr, G. Esping-Andersen
and R. Goodin),
* a detailed table of contents, and
* the draft of the introduction of some 62 pp. under

http://www.gsss.uni-bremen.de/index.php?id=348

at the top of the screen. The introduction attempts a much broader up-
to-date literature survey for PhD/Master students wanting to obtain an
overview.

There maybe a chance for some individuals to get the volumes at a
somewhat reduced rate. Individuals interested should get in touch with
me at [log in to unmask] in the next two months.

I hope that this information is of use to some of you.

All the best

Stephan Leibfried
Centre for Social Policy Research
and Research Centre Transformations of the State
University of Bremen
Bremen
Germany