I was hoping the Bill Scott was going to chip in on this.. :)

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 05:58 -0500, Alan Robinson wrote:

> On May 18, 2007, at 7:12 PM, Paul Emsley wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 17:35 +0100, Alan J Robinson wrote:
> > > I'm trying to install the stable version of coot 0.1.2-1007 using
> > > Fink on Mac OS X 10.4 Power PC.
> > >

> > > Freeglut was installed as a dependency, but the installation of
> > > coot fails because it says that glut is
> > > not available.
> >

> > when does it say that?  A configure time?
> > where is freeglut?  What is the command line passed to coot's
> > configure?
> >

> Unfortunately I'm not fluent enough in Mac OS X and Fink (all on top
> of UNIX) to be able to debug these installation issues. Shouldn't glut
> and freeglut be allowed to coexist,

I don't think so.  They both provide the same library file (libglut).

> in case a package is explicitly dependent on one or the other?

They are pretty interchangeable these days.

>  Complete installation log is attached.
>

> The relevant lines (and some others) appear to be:
>

> ./configure --prefix=/sw --disable-replace-glut --disable-warnings
>

> checking GL/gl.h usability... no
> checking GL/gl.h presence... no
> checking for GL/gl.h... no
> checking GL/glu.h usability... no
> checking GL/glu.h presence... no
> checking for GL/glu.h... no
> checking GL/glx.h usability... no
> checking GL/glx.h presence... no
> checking for GL/glx.h... no
>

> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library
> -lXxf86vm.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in
> when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libXxf86vm and none of the candidates passed a file format
> test
> *** using a file magic. Last file checked: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXxf86vm.a
> *** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
> *** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
> *** or is declared to -dlopen it.

Hmm... that could be why the test for Glut below is failing.

> ./configure --prefix=/sw --with-mmdb-prefix=$CCP4
> --with-clipper-prefix=$CCP4 --with-fftw=$CCP4 --with-glut-prefix=/sw
> --with-gl-prefix=/usr/X11R6 --with-gtkcanvas-prefix=/sw
> --with-ssmlib-prefix=$CCP4  --with-imlib-prefix=/sw
> --with-gtkgl-prefix=/sw --with-glib-prefix=/sw --with-gsl-prefix=/sw
> --with-guile --with-python
>

> checking for GLUT... no
> You need the GLUT utility library
> ### execution of /var/tmp/tmp.1.pX3x65 failed, exit code 1

To diagnose this I'd like to see config.log for coot's configure (fink
may have cleared it up) and
$ ls /sw/include/GL
$ ls /sw/lib/lib*glut*

Paul.