Dear all,

Sorry for the non CCP4 questions. We would like to ship some virus crystals to a synchrotron at room temperature (for room temperature diffraction). I am wondering if anybody has ever had any good experience for this kind of shipping. Especially, it would be great if anybody has any good ideas other than pre-mounting the crystals in quartz capillaries (I won't be driving from Houston to Chicago though :D). I would also like to know more about the things that I need to pay extra attention to, if I have to deal with capillaries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm now testing the more convenient MiTeGen MicroMounts. However, I am not sure whether the crystals can remain resting on the MicroMounts aperture during the course of a typical Fedex shipping (according to the MicroMounts instruction sheet, crystals should not be trapped in the aperture). It would be great if anybody would share your previous experience with regard to the MiTeGen stuff.

Another question about the MiTeGen mounting tools is that I always observe a stong diffraction ring at about 5 A. Well, it is not exactly a ring; it's actually two thick arches (pretty thick, roughly from 5.5 A to 4.8 A), one at the top and the other at the bottom of the diffraction patterns (nothing on the left-hand or right-hand side). Does anybody have any idea what this might be (fiber?)?

thanks a lot for your help!

Junhua
---
Junhua Pan
Department of Biochemistry & Cell Biology
327 Keck Hall, Rice University
6100 Main Street MS-140
Houston, TX 77005
Phone:  (713)348-3346