Dear Colleagues,

I have presented a paper to Archaeofauna about a large Bronze Age dog with spondylosis deformans and the editor has requested further information regarding the condition in antiquity (in all mammals, not just dogs). I am already familiar with the various papers by Morgen (e.g. 1967) on dogs and Harris (1977) on foxes, and that the condition is prevalent amongst stud bulls (Jubb & Kennedy 1970). I would be most obliged for any information and (if possible) references regarding the condition; particularly amongst domestic canids of the Bronze Age or earlier but all species at all times and any indication of probable cause. Many thanks.

Ian L. Baxter