  From: Christian Keysers
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:48 AM
  Subject: [SPM] 2 sample t-test of 2 patients against 16 controls

  Dear SPM mailing list,

  we have conducted a study comparing 2 rare patients against 16 controls.
  We have the same contrast (lets call it C) in all 18 subjects at the
  first level. At the second level I performed a 2-sample t-test
  (voxelwise) with 2 subjects in group 1 and 16 subjects in group 2. One
  of the reviewers states:

  Regarding the 2 sample t-test.  I wonder if SPM2 is able to compare 2
  subjects versus 16.  I believe this is not the case and that one must
  use a different methodology to make this comparison.
  I would like to see a citation to a study that uses a similar approach
  that might alleviate this concern.

  Is anyone aware of other studies using a similar approach, or a comment
  from the makers of SPM regarding this issue?

  ck
  --

  * *

  *Prof Christian Keysers, PhD
  *Scientific director neuroimaging center
  Professor for the neural basis of empathy
  http://www.bcn-nic.nl/index_research_empathy.html

  University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen
  A. Deusinglaan 2,  9713AW Groningen, The Netherlands

  Phone: +31 50 3638794, Fax: +31 50 3638875