Hi Jerome,

yes, SPM will probably slower on 4D files than on 3D files. Also it will
be slower on .nii files than on .hdr/.img pairs. The reason is, that for
combined header and data files (as in 3D .nii and 4D cases) SPM needs
something like random-write-access to your file to store small bits of
information. This is more expensive in terms of I/O time (especially on
large disks/RAID systems/network file storage) than storing 3D data with
separate .hdr/.img files. However, storing one large file is more
efficient in terms of disk usage (if you have partitioned/formatted your
disk to efficiently store large files). In short, there is no free
lunch, and you have to decide what is more important to you: saving
time or saving disk space...
I've just investigated this because I am doing a transition of our network
filesystem away from NFS and had to resolve some performance issues as
well.

Volkmar

--
Volkmar Glauche