Hello,

You are right till the part that you will get images in stereotactic atlas. But If you are talking about the PET/SPECT images then you need to count normalize those, because the image with high intensity will contribute more to the avg. image if the averaging is done prior to count normalization.
 If you are talking about MRI images(which you are, as you have said Gray matter images), then you don't need to do count normalization, as you know the intensity of MRI images is not an issue when you average, them. So you can directly average the images in stereotactic atlas to get the template.

Count normalization-
"spm_adjmean_ui" type this in matlab_commanwindow and follow the GUI, then,,,

Abhinay
Principal Imaging Scientist
AVID Radiopharmaceuticals Inc.
3624 Market Street