I suggest that you perform conjunction (null) analysis to see overlaps of significance in these rare patients compared to control.

regards,

Shary

----- Original Message ----
From: Peter Nestor <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:14:31 AM
Subject: Re: 2 sample t-test of 2 patients against 16 controls

This is just an opinion rather than evidence-based dogma and I'd be
interested in what others thought of it.

With 2 rare patients, clearly one is going to want to separate what is
unique to each case (noise) from what is common to both (where the
latter is presumably what you are interested in).

Obviously that is going to be difficult in a 2 populaion comparison
where one 'population' is n=2. My opinion is that the most trasnparent
way of expressing the findings would be to compare each individual to
the control population separately. Then discuss the results along the
lines of "each patient had significant alterations in regions x and y
compared to controls etc."

There is certainly precedence for analysing individuals in the
literature (though it depends a bit on what kind of imaging you are
doing).

Peter Nestor