Bob Ward’s point about distributing to schools is correct I see that, but note that he does not want the DVD of the programme distributed anywhere to anyone. But it is hardly an important point and makes no other case than demonstrating an error. It does not change the substance of my points which rest upon the quotation attributed to him which flies in the face of history and the basis for a free, liberal democracy.

"Free speech does not extend to misleading the public by making factually inaccurate statements."

He should note what I said. I was not saying anything about Channel 4’s statutory remit and justifications. He is  correct in his belief that I am pointing out that it is a fundamental right to speak out, publish and be wrong and not be censored for it even if your claims are demonstrably false. How the media interpret the fundamental right for free speech with reference to Broadcasting legislation is up to the courts as any study of English and American legal history shows.

Bob Ward said, “I fully endorse the right to express different opinions on any subject including science. But statements such as "volcanoes produce more carbon dioxide than the burning of fossil fuels by humans", are not assertions of opinion they are demonstrably false claims.

This is true but not the point. Anyone has the right to hold that view and say so, and we all have the right to counter it not censor it.

"Free speech does not extend to misleading the public by making factually inaccurate statements," – yes it does – that is my point.

David.