"lets take this silly argument to its post-modernist extreme
>(which it is nearly at) and state all reporting, including journal
>articles, is political and therefore what we are dealing in is politics and
>not science".

you're right, of course - I do find that distinction difficult to draw.

does that make me a silly post-modernist? Of course I don't think so.

I'd rather say my position is a sceptical variant of realism: there are
facts about the world: but they cannot speak for themselves. And the facts
being mute, someone has to speak on their behalf. That endlessly interesting
process is where the politics gets in. It's not something to approve of, or
deplore. Just the way life is.

Jon Turney

020 7639 5713 (home)

>From: Mikey Brass <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] The Great Global Warming Swindle
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:23:55 +0100
>
>Jon Turney wrote:
>>(and the denial that they may be political is part of the politics...).
>
>Then lets take this silly argument to its post-modernist extreme (which it
>is nearly at) and state all reporting, including journal articles, is
>political and therefore what we are dealing in is politics and not science.
>
>--
>Best, Mikey Brass
>MA in Archaeology degree, University College London
>"The Antiquity of Man" http://www.antiquityofman.com
>Book: "The Antiquity of Man: Artifactual, fossil and gene records explored"
>
>- !ke e: /xarra //ke
>("Diverse people unite": Motto of the South African Coat of Arms, 2002)

>1. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
>send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
>set psci-com nomail
>2. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
>set psci-com mail
>3. To leave psci-com, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
>message:
>leave psci-com
>4. Further information about the psci-com discussion list, including list
>archive,
>can be found at the list web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/psci-com.html
>5. The psci-com gateway to internet resources on science communication and
>science
>and society can be found at http://psci-com.ac.uk

Solve the Conspiracy and win fantastic prizes.
http://www.theconspiracygame.co.uk/