A warning against drink (Proverbs 23: 29–35) as given in the Geneva Bible:

31 Looke not thou upon the wine, when it is red, and when it sheweth his colour
in the cuppe, or goeth down pleasantly.

32 In the ende thereof it will bite like a serpent, and hurt like a cockatrise.

33 Thine eyes shall looke upon strange women, and thine heart shall speake lewde
things.

34 And thou shalt bee as one that sleepeth in the middes of the sea, and as he
that sleepeth in the top of the mast.

35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, but I was not sicke: they have beaten
me, but I knew not, when I awoke: therefore will I seeke it yet still.

(quoted in the current TLS in James Fenton's piece on 'The Unbeliever' by
Elizabeth Bishop and its use of Bunyan)

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au