Possibly 'pre' Andrew, but it's more a film strip, & catches your sense
of him well. I enjoyed the little trip.

Doug
On 3-Apr-07, at 3:49 AM, andrew burke wrote:

> The day was Monday so I rose early and went out to second campus by
> the uni bus at 7.20am. I taught freshmen Oral English until 10am and
> then caught a taxi back home. It is not expensive to catch a taxi
> here, but it is often exciting, if sometimes dangerous. Today the
> driver was an anachronism in physical appearance. He looked exactly
> like a cartoon version of a 1950s/early 1960s American hipster: about
> 30 years old, in a wide-lapelled, double breasted jacket with a dark
> shirt underneath, 'cool' sunglasses, a prickly black goatee beard with
> matching moustache, and a crazy haircut not unlike an old flat-top
> Kramer cut from those decades. When I sat down, he said 'Hell oh',
> gunned the tincan taxi out into the traffic, then grinned and said,
> all as one phrase, 'Hell oh sit down pleeze'. I liked his way of
> driving - fearless, fast and lyrical. He drove like I imagine Dean
> Moriarty of _On the Road_ fame would have driven – or maybe the real
> man behind the wheel of Keroauc's novel, Neal Cassidy. My driver knew
> where every inch of outside skin on his tincan was, and he ducked and
> dived through the slenderest alleyways of traffic like some kind of
> animal … In fact. that was it!, the tincan was an extension of himself
> and he was ducking and jiving like an Aboriginal Aussie rules football
> player. And when the opposition defence got too obstructive – four
> lanes of raggedy parked traffic at the red light, with bicycles and
> pedestrians all taking up any inch of space - he took off the road and
> went around that corner on a broad footpath! Hah! He did it all so
> effortlessly and with such clear-eyed athleticism that I just sat
> there and marvelled. I don't know how he didn't hit anybody or cause
> an accident, but he did it languorously, driving me home quicker and
> smoother than any other taxi-driving maniac in this crazy city.
>
> He cool
> He no need no driving school
> He a crazy Zen-driving fool
> Playing the road like he's shooting pool …
>

> --
> Andrew
> http://hispirits.blogspot.com/
> http://www.inblogs.net/hispirits
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/aburke/

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

No poem is intended for the reader, no picture for the beholder, no
symphony for the listener.

	Walter Benjamin