> If it wasn't the reason, how can it be the intention?

I think I suggested it was not (a tourism site) that constituted the
cemetary's original "intention" or "reason." It's current status in the
public imagination trumps origins - much in way contemporary Yosemite as a
Park trumps it's original function and power among its original local Indian
uses. Whether or not the Lachaise is besieged or not with visitors, the
cemetery is clearly both a national and international site in the literary,
artistic, and theatrical imagination of France. Memoirs and novels, etc. are
ripe with visitations to x, y, and z - that act as touchstones for
re-enacting lives and remembrances from the most melodramatic sort to those
much more profound.  France as a cultural memorial preserve (with all of its
attendant industries that serve and profit from exploiting this memory) is
certainly proud, on whatever level, to 'own' it. I know them well enough to
know they don't miss a beat.  The chauvinistic cart is never far from the
hearse.

I cannot think of anything -cemetery wise for artists - that is comparable
in the U.S.A.  Except  the one out there in the Hamptons with Pollack,
Stuart Davis and other, primarily New York artists. A good one, I found, to
visit, too.

Otherwise, Mark, I appreciate all the info about Paris cemeteries in your
post. Much of it new to me.
Stephen V
http://stephenvincent.net/blog/