Not sad though, surely? I found it ironic, questing, manic, laid-back,
satirical etc all at once or alternately, not really sad. I think what
there is of the translation is not so bad, though the cool irony
suffers, but of course masses of pages have been added on since that was
done & the novel becomes a kind of do-it-yourself cut-up of drafts,
plans etc. Since I bought my complete Musil in the 70s, having read an
earlier German edition of MWQ, more has been added...Actually, perhaps
the biggest problem of translation with books like that is in the
linguistic area of origin - people have sometimes disconcerted by his
German on the page (but a reading of the whole thing on MP3 available
from Zweitausendeins has proved remarkably popular): in the late 60s
extracts from different texts were sent to critics & publishers' readers
by some journal, and the unidentified extract from MWQ was modified by
one word, Büstenhalter (bra) instead of Brustbinde (I think), to avoid
easy period identification & bracketing; one famous critic, a Musil
admirer, tore into the piece (I think it was about Gerda) as being on
the level of cheap romances. When the source was revealed, he defended
himself, protesting that the change of that one word had subtly changed
all, blah blah. Critics...but...style is a fragile thing.
mj

--
A man may write of love, and not be in love, as well as of husbandrie, and not goe to plough: or of witches, and be none: or of holinesse, and be flat prophane. - Giles Fletcher the Elder.