Congratulations, Kasper!

joodles

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of kasper salonen
Sent: Friday, 20 April 2007 5:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: publication!

I will soon be able to call myself a published writer; my poem
"herald" is going to appear in the next issue of Fuselit
(www.fuselit.co.uk), a uk-based magazine. I'd sent one poem to the
editor previously, but after discussion we decided it didn't fit the
issue's theme (each issue is based on a catalyst-word); this was
written with a deal more of vision & intent than the previous piece.
so here's a peek at my first ever published poem. the themeword of the
issue is NUDE.

HERALD

a skeletal birch is the spirit of patience
when a city wind terrorises it
into a deviltree: a support pillar of the moon
made a gallows for plastic bags¯

it has to wait till summer
for its pact with the bay's seaweed vault
of palettes to save its branches from whips,
and its nude roots & limbs
from homicide¯
it has to wait to be herald
to the flower of the sun.

now painting this halt:
a transforming gunshot star
soothes the skyline to tigerlily,
bids goodnight the peering city
with a silent burn of colour:

my lover's outstretched leg glowed
& she laughed¯the plastic bags glowed
like hell's prototype rainbow & laughed,
blowing about like candles.

KS

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential
and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only
for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email
or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.
Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments