reminding me, as did the story Barry alerted us to, that there are just
too many poets, of far too many types, to ever keep up with: I know
none of these. I didn't know more than about 3 of the names mentioned
in the Reetika Vazirani story, including her. I would agree with anyone
who said that that's my fault & failure, but it does go to show -- if
nothing else, that most of us can't possibly keep up, & will make our
choices about what we know, like, admire, etc, on the basis of what
people we know, admire, etc, tell us, & on, in my case at least, what
writers I have come to admire admire.... (or trough the ruminations of
a list like this...).

Doug
On 17-Apr-07, at 4:09 AM, cooee wrote:

>  [from the NYTimes]
>
> POETRY: NATASHA TRETHEWEY
>
> “Native Guard”
>
> In her third volume of poetry, Ms. Trethewey, the daughter of a black
> mother
> and white father, takes inspiration from the life of her mother and the
> history of Mississippi, where the poet was born.
>
> The title poem tells the story of a soldier who served in one of the
> first
> all-black regiments in the Union Army.
>
> Ms. Trethewey, 40, teaches creative writing at Emory University in
> Atlanta.
>
> FINALISTS
>
> “The Republic of Poetry” by Martin Espada;
>
> “Interrogation Palace: New & Selected Poems 1982-2004” by David Wojahn.

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

lipsynching awe all the way to the grave of the unknown onus:
memory stutter; one smidgen, one scantling of thank.

		Dennis Lee