that opening is the greatest I've read in a long time, it sounds like
Ted Hughes at his best. attributing traits like knowledge to something
as categorically faceless as a spider is always a joy, but not always
a well-executed one. this is a stunner.
there's a real disgust in the dankly maternal imagery of the belly,
it's grotesque in the extreme but in such a minimal way. "the teeth of
love" is utterfly descriptive.
"sitting alone" is good, the sitter is ambiguous. "she arrived,
rearing" is *terrifying*! I shivered, then grinned at "...and I was
not surprised". a rearing spider is tiny, after all.

the repetition of the end reminds me of Plath (Hughes & Plath in one
email, hoo ha), there's the same poised, tragically evil tone.

you reaffirm my opinion of your talent with each poem Caleb.

KS