Real quick not a lot of thought needs work.

kw

HUNGER'S NEED AND THEATER OF CRUELTY
(February 1968)

I'd been warned and warned twice
"Don't shit where you eat"
in this context known as
Do Not Date Women At Work
because it can only end badly
and yet Madeleine, friend of a friend,
a set-up for two lonely people,
was sweet and cute, just substantial enough,
and I told myself I wanted her
as much as I really wanted her
so I asked her out and she
said yes
so we were together twice
the first time at a club in the Village
where the guy who wrote
"Eve of Destruction" sang much better
than that shitty song
and he also sang a love song called "Elizabeth"
that I remember to this day
because it hurt to hear

for I'd just broken up with someone special
and I was ripe for more hurt
unready to receive what might be offered
unprepared unknowingly primed to give what I'd received,
but it all coalesced soon enough

and the second date was where she lived,
Maddie's grandparents' aparment
(of course it didn't occur to me to ask why)
and it was mostly me working to get her clothing off
to rest--really rest--with her breast in my mouth
almost too tired at that moment to think
of going any further
a transsexual Dido from Purcell
"Oh thy bosom let me rest,"
and so I stopped, me a failure
in the age of Love The One You're With
because love really is not free,
it is a grace and rarity that will cost you
big
and I didn't love Madeleine
she was nice and all but who cared really
it was all too involving because she
did not make it a challenge
and because I was still getting over
that girl I thought I loved who'd hurt me as I hurt her,
miserably, for months before it ended,
and I realized as I was almost able to enter Madeleine
that I really didn't want to be with anyone

I wanted only to be left the fuck alone
with my terpin hydrate, marijuana,
and my kitten
just to get away from myself

and I stood at the door and said
"Don't count on me, go on with this,
I am no good for you"
some shitty Mac Davis song,
and turned and left to leave her
standing aghast and I am sure
hating me for at least an hour thereafter.

It took me years for my conscience
to catch up dismissive awfulness.
Oh well.  Too late to fix it but not
too late to repine over what can't be fixed:
the definition of jerking off.

To this day, Maddie, I am truly sorry.  I feel
the same now as then: it was hopeless hope
and I was at least lucky to see it if the cruelty
was a bit much to handle.
I guess that defines Shit Happens
even if you're not.

KTW/4-29-07

--
Ken Wolman			    rainermaria.typepad.com

"It takes a big man to cry.  It takes a really big man to
laugh at that man."